My Blogs Title

MY BLOGS

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kalakand (Ricotta Cheese Desert) - 2 Ingredients Wonder



This is for my celebration of having 200 followers/ blogger friends who have been with me all through the years of my blogging in encouraging me and giving me the inspiration and to improve more.
Thanks to all the friends!
:)


I always wanted to make traditional/authentic Indian sweets at home and keep myself way too far from trying them as I felt it was time consuming. But I really appreciate people around the world to bring up the ways to make it easier and still keep the authenticity of their respective country desserts, especially when they are out of their country and still want to eat their country sweets and don't get it, but really have to find a way to make one for yourself at home. This made me feel good and so I am here with the experiment of making Kalakand the easiest way I have ever known. :) So

Well since this is the oldest Indian Sweets, I would love to share some words about this dessert.

This is a popular Indian Sweet made out of solidified, sweetened milk and cottage cheese. It owes to the milk-rich Braj, a region of Uttar Pradesh. Kalakand is famous in many states of India.

Kalakand is one of the oldest sweets made in India during festivals and celebrations.

The traditional way of preparing this sweet is, you place a huge pan with large amount of milk is boiled and reduced/thickened while stirring continously adding sugar and dry fruits into it.



I hope anyone like me, craving to eat this traditional Indian Sweet would not miss this post and at least give it a try to make it once and I bet they would definitely make it more than once. :)


Ingredients:
-------------
15 oz Ricotta Cheese (I used whole milk, you can use either low fat or skim, I feel whole milk gives the best results)
15 oz Condensed Milk can
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
Dry Fruits - Your choice (I used slivered Almonds, toasted them lightly and decorated on top or you can use edible silver foil)


Method:
---------
1. In a bowl mix all the ingredients except the almonds if you are using it for garnish, else if using mixed dry fruits you can mix along with other ingredients.
2. In a microwave safe bowl which has little high sides, place the mixture and cook it for about 5-10 mins on high atirring it occassionaly or b/w every 1-2 mins.
3. Now place it in a flat pan spreading it out to the desired thickness you want.


4. I cooked in the same glass pie plate and allowed it cool in the same.
5. Garnish it with the almonds and allow it to cool in fridge.
6. Once it has set for a hour or so, you can cut into desired shapes and serve it cold or at room temperature.
It's as simple as that!! :)


You Might Also Like:
Oats Strawberry Bar Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Bar Soy Flour Pineapple Cake

5 comments:

Vidhya said...

This is a wonderful recipe to make Kalakand with just two ingredients.Congrats on reaching 200 followers,I am sure in no time you will double and triple this as you have wonderful blog.

Prema said...

wow delicious dessert,loved it...cute presentation.

Sangeetha Priya said...

Very quick dessert n kids enjoy much, Lovely clicks!!!Check Out my "Daily one neivedhyam happening for 9 days of Navratri"
Today's recipe - Horse Gram Sundal
Unusual Sundal Yucca Sundal
Nitha's Kitchen

Sherin said...

Gorgeous clicks and so simple too. Luev it. Happy to follow u

Home Cooked food said...

Love your kalakand n manicure too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...