I love almonds especially when they are toasted and sprinkled on cakes or salads. The first time we went to IKEA store, I tasted this cake and fell in love with this cake and browsed so many recipes but was not at all satisfied. Then some how found out a recipe which inspired this "Ikea Almond Honey Cake" as I would call it and tried ...it was awesome and satisfied my cravings.
So, here is the recipe.....
1 1/2 (whole with skin) + 1/4 (slivered) cups Almonds (whole with skin)
4 Eggs (substitute 1 egg = 1tbsp Flax meal + 3tbsp Water)
1/2 cup + 2tbsp Honey
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 pkg 8oz Cream Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place the 1 1/2 cups and 1/4 cup of almonds (2hole and slivered) on a baking sheet and toast it for about 7-9 min. Watch the slivered almonds from burning.
3. Remove from oven and allow to come to cool.
3. Separate the eggs, keep the yolks in a bowl and the rest in another bowl.
4. In a food processor or mixer process the almonds until finely ground to a powder.
5. Now in a mixing bowl add egg yolks, vanilla extract, baking soda, honey, salt and mix until well blended in medium speed.
6. Now add the almond powder/flour and mix in low speed until well blended.
7. Now in a separate bowl beat the egg whites until it is white and you achieve stiff peaks with a hand mixer or if you arms are strong enough you can also do with whisk. :).
8. Now fold in the almond batter slowly into the egg whites in batches, make sure you don't over mix but keep the air incorporated in egg whites.
9. Meanwhile spray a baking pan (9 inch) with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the cooking spray on the paper too. You can use a spring foam pan too for easy cake removal.
NOTE: If you don't want to use the cream cheese frosting, you can sprinkle the slivered toasted almonds over the top of the cake and then bake else, reserve it to sprinkle over the icing.
10. Bake the cake until golden brown or a knife or fork inserted in the middle comes out clean for about 28-30 mins. Allow it to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In a mixing bowl add the room temperature cream cheese 2 tbsp honey and mix it until creamy and smooth with no lumps.
2. Spread it evenly over the top of the cake and sprinkle the 1/4 cup slivered almonds or decorate it according to you taste.
NOTE: I cut the cake into two layers and put cream cheese frosting and almonds on the middle as well as the top layer.
Re-posting this recipe to participate in the event "Only Baked" hosted by Tamalapaku and Foodelicious.